AWACS Tactical Simulator features:
- App Store link. Version 1.03 now available. Version 1.1 coming soon.
- Free AWACS Simulator PDF Manual available here. There’s also a free iBook version ready for download.
- Videotutorials available here. More to come soon.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).
- This is not a flight simulator, this is a simulator of the typical operations of an AWACS (Airborne Warning And Control System) in high-level operations with strategy elements.
- Play in real time or compress it up to 30x.
- Equip your aircraft with the right weapons from our vast arsenal to meet their objectives.
- Give orders to more than twenty models of aircraft from different countries in different scenarios around the world.
- Design flight plans for your air fleet with different roles as a fighter, attack, bombing or transport.
- Create your own scenarios and send them to us for inclusion in future patches.
- Take advantage of the teachings of a free encyclopedia with full description of units, tactics, tips, tutorials and more.
We are pleased to inform you that we´ll be in Barcelona, Spain, next 16th march to show the new features of AWACS Tactical Simulator version 2.0. There we´ll be talking about the elements that will give a very deep and complex simulation with new combat data, air control, and many others.
And last but no least, new NTDS icons. Another milestone is to develop Mac and PC versions. Please give us a hand in this crowdfunding project to help us going on with this work. You can find more info here: http://www.mymajorcompany.es/projects/awacs
Following our work with the new Tactical view, we´re working on maps (see last post) and we´re also working with the map icons. After some research we have thought of using the NTDS icons (Naval Tactical Display System).
Some of you might know these symbols. You could have seen them in Harpoon game series. Harpoon was a naval strategy game that made use of these icons. But these icons are part from the NTDS (Naval Tactical Display System), the icons used by the US Navy in their ships. If you remember “The hunt for the Red October”, there is a scene where the captain shows an electronic map aboard the USS Enterprise. If you see the icons, you´ll recognize the NTDS format.
These symbols, when moving, show a line directed to the point where they are moving, and that line is longer as the object moves faster. These lines will be visible when air groups are on their way to the targets. Right now aircraft don´t move, but we want to add this feature to naval groups soon so you´ll be able to control their positions.
We´re going to record some videos where you´ll see these new maps and icons working on the iPad display, and then on a 27 inches iMac. We think you´ll enjoy the change, but remember, all maps and icons will be there if you want to use them.
When we started the AWACS Tactical Simulator project, there was a lot of debate about what maps and icons should be used in the game. While we wanted to add realistic maps and icons, we say, with NATO symbology, we also saw that those maps where too cold and with no life for an iPad game. So we decided to start with classical maps and icons to the game in the first place.
Of course, we have received many inputs from gamers that would enjoy playing with realistic NATO maps. That is, maps very similar to those you can find in real AWACS Airplanes. We also know that there are many people happy with the maps the way they are. So what could we do? Yes, it´s simple: add a configuration button to switch between game view and NATO view. And now, we´re working on it.
So, starting from version 2.0, maps will be ready in two modes: NATO Mode, and Standard Mode. In Standard Mode you´ll play like you´re doing now. In NATO Mode the standard icons will be switched to a NATO icon model style. You´ll be able to switch at any moment during the game.
You can see the Britain map above with the NATO Mode. These maps are carefully detailed, even in Mac version with a 27 inch 2560×1440 screen. In fact, we think the Mac version is going to be seen as impressive.
Soon we´ll upload new info about this. Stay tuned!
It´s been a while without posting new info about the progress of version 2.0. We had to deal with some problems not related to the AWACS Simulator. But we´re now working again to add new features to version 2.0 and programming the Mac version. But we want more, and we want to develop this simulator in many ways. You have contacted us with so many new features you would like to see added to the simulator, and we really think there are very good ideas from all of you.
We also think we can expand the simulator for Windows, to be running in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows RT (and yes, Android if we get the proper resources). To achieve this goal we´re starting a new project in a crowdfunding web, so we can get support from you. This web is My Major Company (the spanish version, not the french one). We´ll explain all the new features we´ll add to the simulator. Those features will be added to the iOS, Mac and Windows version. Please be aware that Mac version comes first as we are working on that version now. Then we´ll go for Windows version. But, we need your full support to achieve this objective!
We´d like to give you more info, and we´ll do it as soon as we have it. For now, we can assure you that version 2.0 is on the way, and will be released in the first three months of 2013. We´ll give you some more accurate dates as soon as we get them.
The AWTSIM Team.
Barcelona Air Sim Meeting was a simulation and aeronautics show held last september 10 in Castelldefels, a city near Barcelona, Spain. There we showed the AWACS Tactical Simulator and gave a lecture of its present and future. The demonstration show the elements we´re including in version 1.1, and what to expect from version 2.0. We also talked about the Mac, Android, and PC versions we´re starting to develop.
We want to thank the people who asked and want to know more about the sim and were present at the show. Hoping to be there next year, with many, many new enhancements to come. Thank you very much!
We´re happy to inform you that version 1.03 is ready for download in the App Store. This version adds two new maps and ten missions, improved stability, and some important changes to make the simulator more accesible to newbies while being hard for those who want some challenges. You have all the new features in this link.
We´re now working with 1.1 with some new features, two of them very important: a revamped damage system for all ground objects to make it more realistic. We´ll talk about it in a few days and show you the changes in detail. And very important: save and load missions. You asked for it, and you´re going to get it. We know it´s a very important feature and we want it right now ready for you to save your missions whenever you want. Enjoy!
While working with version 1.1 that will contain major changes, we have finished testing version 1.03, and it will be ready for download in a few days. These are the changes you´ll find in 1.03:
- Improved Stability: we have made some important changes to the code to rest assured the program always runs perfect.
- New screens at the beginning: when the game starts, there will be more images to see while aircraft are passing thru the screen.
- Radar sounds: now when an enemy fighter detects one of our aircraft a warning “beep” will sound just once. Remember, if you hear the beep you can be sure someone is tracking you. And three beeps inform you that the aircraft RWR (Radar Warning Missile) is detecting an incoming missile.
- Carriers won´t repair themselves: while airbases can repair themselves, carriers won´t. So you must be very careful with your carriers. If you lose one is for the rest of the mission.
- Scrambles won´t be possible on carriers and airbases now when destroyed.
- Transport aircrafts like C-130 and C-17 won´t choose carriers to send weapons.
- Slower Enemy air bases repairs: enemy air bases repairs were too fast, now they need more time to make repairs. You´ll have more time to finish your attacks.
- Improved SAMs (Surface to Air Missiles): now SAMs can launch some missiles to an enemy aircraft, but they´ll stop to reload. You can then bypass the SAM with no danger. Be careful, they´re working to restart launching their missiles.
- Improved exit mission: now when you want to exit the mission it will be done in a second.
- Improved recording statistics data: now recording data is more efficient. We´ll improve more these statistics in the future too.
- and, last but not least, two new theaters: Suez and Persian Gulf with five heavy missions each one.
Thank you to all people that has sent us their feedback about 1.00 and 1.02 versions.
That´s all while we´re working in 1.1. As we say you´ll get version 1.03 in a few days. Enjoy!